If you count Memorial Day through Labor Day as your summer season you’re just over the halfway point with your summer season.
At this point of the season, many of us are cruising in our programming and hitting our goals. That said, we’ll begin to see the finish line in the distance ahead. With a finish line on the horizon it’s important to keep our focus these final weeks as our minds may begin to wander off into what September brings (new programming, a break, back to school), or a different focus or job.
Here are a few things to consider to finish your summer strong:
- Restate and remind everyone of the goals and vision for the season.
- Look for ways to reinvent your interpretive programs you’ve been doing day after day, week after week. Add a new tangible, try something different, interpretations is an art.
- Engage visitors in the fun, they’re still on vacation looking to create memories with family and friends.
- Visualize Maslow, Tilden, and Pepe sitting in the front row of your interpretive program. How would you want your program to go?
- Managers inspect what you expect. Check in with staff/evaluate.
- If you’re in camp mode, keep it safe, double check life jackets and knots.
- Make sure you make time for fun!
- Treat ‘em..donuts, coffee, pizza, and unexpected break.
- Jam some tunes.
- Keep the sun out of their eyes.
- Make sure you make time for you and your staff to recharge and have a vacation at some point.
- Make sure to celebrate at the finish line!
Have a great second half of the summer and finish strong!